Join Granite River Labs (GRL) at the Storage Developer Conference (SDC) EMEA 2022! We will be speaking on the topic "PCIe® 6.0 Specification: Advancing Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning Applications".
Storage Developer Conference (SDC) EMEA 2022
Date: June 14, 2022
Time: 5.10 pm to 5.30 pm, CEST
Speaker: Vamshi Kandalla, Chief Strategy Officer, and Miki Takahashi, Executive Vice President of Engineering
Location: Virtual Conference, Track 2
Watch the recording here
Granite River Labs explored the benefits of PCIe® 6.0 architecture for AI/ML workloads and its impact on next-generation cloud data centers in this presentation
Granite River Labs (GRL) participating in Storage Developer Conference (SDC) EMEA 2022. Vamshi Kandalla, Chief Strategy Officer, and Miki Takahashi, Executive Vice President of Engineering will be speaking on the topic "PCIe® 6.0 Specification: Advancing Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning Applications".
For the past three decades, PCI-SIG® has delivered a succession of industry-leading PCI Express® (PCIe®) specifications that remain ahead of the increasing demand for a high-bandwidth, low-latency interconnect for computer-intensive systems in diverse market segments, including data centers, artificial intelligence and machine learning (AI/ML), high-performance computing (HPC) and storage applications.
In early 2022, PCI-SIG released the PCIe® 6.0 specification to members, doubling the data rate of the PCIe 5.0 specification to 64 GT/s (up to 256 GB/s for a x16 configuration). To achieve high data transfer rates with low latency, PCIe® 6.0 technology adds innovative new features like Pulse Amplitude Modulation with 4 levels (PAM4) signaling, low-latency Forward Error Correction (FEC) and Flit-based encoding. PCIe® 6.0 technology is an optimal solution to meet the demands of Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning applications, which often require high data bandwidth, low latency transport channels.
If you have missed the presentation, we have summarized it in three main points below:
- Benefits of PCIe® 6.0 architecture for Artificial Intelligence & Machine Learning (AI/ML) workloads
- PCIe® 6.0 technology benefits include increasing data rate to 64 GT/s, doubling the PCIe 5.0 specification data rate, enabling faster and low latency data transfers, being backward compatible, and being in a lower power state by allowing traffic to run on a reduced number of lanes to save power yet maintaining at least one active lane at all times to allow uninterrupted traffic flow
- Key features of PCIe® 6.0 include the high-efficiency error correction mechanism, low latencies, and high reliability, the L0p power state, and the new TLP format
- PCIe 6.0 technology impact on next-generation cloud data centers
- The evolution of the Data Center is driven by a number of trends. However, the recurring theme is the explosive increase in data and the need for continuously increasing bandwidth.
- PCIe 6.0 architecture provides the required speed between the network interfaces of servers and switches and also serves as a critical bridge between CPUs and AI accelerators in the data center.
- Potential Artificial Intelligence & Machine Learning (AI/ML) use cases for PCIe® 6.0 technology
- Use cases include predictive maintenance, cooling, power management, security, and workload management
More information available on Storage Developers Conference EMEA page.
GRL has recently announced our latest offering of electrical compliance test automation software solutions, PCIe 5.0 Transmitter, Receiver and PLL Peaking and Loop Bandwidth. Our PCIe 5.0 PLL Bandwidth and Peaking solution has been approved by PCI-SIG for PCIe 5.0 Compliance Testing. With 7 labs worldwide, GRL can help with PCIe 5.0, 4.0, and earlier Base (ASIC) and CEM (System) Specification Pre-Compliance Tests.