GRL seeks a full-time Lab Manager - Santa Clara
Date: Dec. 12, 2023
City: Santa Clara, United States
Position Code: GRLSC20231212
Headquartered in Silicon Valley with almost 400 staff in 10 countries, we help engineers solve the toughest design and validation challenges. Since 2010, our affordable end-to-end testing, certification and compliance services and proprietary instrumentation and software solutions have enabled hardware developers worldwide to implement digital connectivity and charging technologies like PCI Express, Ethernet, USB, and Qi wireless charging as they become faster, more complex, and more challenging to test. GRL is a unique and exceptional institution. We serve customers of all sizes from a diverse range of industries including bleeding-edge cloud computing, mobile, and autonomous driving. We support product development at all stages of the value chain, from chips to end products, and help our customers validate the full system stack, from physical layer to protocol to application layer to ensure robust performance and interoperability. The combination of market-leading technical expertise, broad capabilities and an intense focus on quality and customer service excellence has seen the company grow rapidly and win recognition as the “go to” expert. But we do much more than just test: we guide, we consult, we analyze, we troubleshoot, and we present useful insights to help our customers understand and improve their products’ performance and ensure their success.
About the role
As Manager of GRL's Santa Clara headquarters lab and as a senior member of the GRL technical staff, you will lead project technical planning and execution for complex, multi-faceted test, debugging and product design consultation projects with a wide range of customers, products, and technologies using state of the art test equipment. You will manage and mentor a team of talented engineers, guiding their professional growth and career development.
As Lab Manager, you will report to the VP of Global Engineering and be responsible for all aspects of planning, executing, and managing our lab testing operations. In this hands-on role, you will ensure the highest standards of quality and service excellence that are the foundation of our customers’ trust and GRL’s growth. That includes planning and implementing local lab capabilities to support growth targets and company objectives.
Working closely with GRL senior leadership, you will have the opportunity to contribute on a global scale to technical standards development, new test program development and rollout, and leverage your deep technical expertise as a global subject matter expert. GRL is growing fast and prides itself on an open and collaborative culture; you will have many opportunities to contribute across a variety of initiatives and will never be pigeonholed.
You will apply your deep knowledge of product validation principles and techniques and your judgement to architect, develop and implement effective and efficient test plan and methodologies, lead product debugging efforts to root cause and recommend actionable design improvements, lead customer technical and project related communications and issue resolution, analyze test data and product designs, and architect, develop and review comprehensive reporting on product interface performance and compliance.
- Maintain all lab technical capabilities and bring up new capabilities/technologies
- Manage all day-to-day lab testing, data analysis, and reporting/review, including customer product design recommendations
- Oversee project management and customer product technical troubleshooting efforts
- Ensure accurate and consistent application of international standards-based test programs and GRL global lab quality, security, and safety standards
- Work closely with VP of Engineering and COO to improve and maintain test policies and procedures, lab equipment, and infrastructure, and ensure the highest level of execution quality.
- Lead effective cross-functional efforts for process improvements, technical initiatives and resolutions.
- Plan all resources and budgets (space, staff, equipment, and time) to meet near and long-term customer needs and GRL business objectives
- Lead local engineering staff career planning and development and provide technical guidance, coaching, and mentorship
- Train and oversee staff engineers on test methodologies and GRL lab policies and practices
- Work closely with other GRL lab managers and technical staff to build and share technical know-how and implement and improve test methodologies and techniques for a broad range of technologies
- Support technical sales efforts including project scoping, budgeting, and technical planning
- Support technical marketing efforts including tradeshows and technical seminars
- Demonstrate strong leadership and management skills
- Technical depth in testing one or more digital connectivity and charging technologies (for example, USB, Ethernet, PCI Express, WiFi, Bluetooth, etc.)
- Expertise in signal integrity design concepts and measurement, including sources and causes of noise and jitter and high speed IO validation, PLLs and Timing Recovery (CDR)
- At least 3 years’ relevant test lab management experience; 5+ years preferred
- Hands-on experience with high-speed lab equipment including signal generator/BERT, oscilloscope, and VNA/TDR
- Flexibility and comfort working in a quickly changing environment
- Meticulous organizational skills
- Strong written and verbal interpersonal skills
- Fluency in English required
- US work authorization required
- Master’s degree in Electrical Engineering, Electrical Electronics, Computer Engineering or related field and 10+ years of experience.
- Experience with silicon IO characterization over PVT.
- Expertise in Power Integrity and/or protocol/logical layer design, test and debugging.
- Programming knowledge of C/C++, Python, LabView, Matlab, and other languages.