GRL seeks a full-time General Manager, Japan - Yokohama
Date: Aug. 17, 2022
City: Yokohama, Japan
Position Code: GRLJP202208031
About the role
The GM at GRL Japan reports to the President of Worldwide Services and dotted line to the President of Worldwide Solutions. This role is legally responsible for GRL´s legal entity GRL Japan. The position holder is representing GRL Japan in all aspects to clients, business partners and authorities. The GM is also responsible for all aspects of annual budget planning,regular forecasting and the overall business development in the country to expand new services adequate to the market in Japan and the region. In this hands-on role, you will ensure the highest standards of quality and service excellence that are the foundation of our customers’ trust and GRL’s growth. That includes building and leading the overall local team in Japan and especially supporting the team around the Laboratory to support growth targets and company objectives. The laboratory manager reports to the VP of Global Engineering and dotted line to the GM at GRL Japan.
- Maintaining overall monthly duties especially Cash flow, forecasting, investments, tax accruals and payments and monthly financial closing.
- Establish annual budgets and business plans for new investments.
- Support together with the CFO of GRL the proper establishment and registration of GRL Japan with the adequate Business Scope to serve the local market.
- Ensure to have adequate bank accounts and infrastructure in place to invoice clients locally.
- Ensure to have our Sales CRM System and pricing in place to be able to quote our clients locally.
- Identify qualified candidates to be hired in order to meet target growth in Japan.
- Act as a major contact window for clients in the absence of a Sales Manager GRL Japan.
- Moderate and present at regular monthly bring up meetings to the senior management team and to the Board where required.
- Supporting all lab technical capabilities and bringing up new capabilities/technologies.
- Oversee project management and customer product technical troubleshooting efforts.
- Ensure accurate and consistent application of international standards-based test programs and GRL global lab quality, security, and safety standards.
- Plan all resources and budgets (space, staff, equipment, and time) to meet near and long-term customer needs and GRL business objectives.
- Lead local staff career planning and development.
- Train and oversee staff development and ensure GRL policies are known and observed.
- Work closely with other GRL managers and staff to build and share technical know-how and implement and improve test methodologies and techniques for a broad range of technologies.
- Support technical sales efforts including project scoping, budgeting, and technical planning.
- Support technical marketing efforts including trade shows and technical seminars.
- Demonstrated strong leadership and management skills.
- 10+ years work experience in the electronics industry (Consumer, Enterprise, Industrial, Medical, Automotive and so on).
- Deep experience in any of Automotive, high speed interface technology, regulatory testing or wireless technology a plus.
- At least 3 years’ business unit/division or large team management experience; 5+ years preferred.
- 5+ years business development experience.
- Flexibility and comfort working in a quickly changing environment.
- Effective Conflict Resolution and Problem-Solving Skill.
- Meticulous organizational skills.
- Strong written and verbal interpersonal skills.
- Fluency in English and Japanese required; fluency in another major language is a plus.
- Japan work authorization required.
Headquartered in Silicon Valley with over 360 staff in 9 countries, GRL is the world leader in testing and related engineering services to help hardware product developers integrate the latest digital connectivity and smart charging technologies. GRL is a unique and exceptional institution. We serve customers of all sizes from a diverse range of industries including bleeding-edge cloud computing, mobile, and autonomous driving. We support product development at all stages of the value chain, from chips to end products, and help our customers validate the full system stack, from physical layer to protocol to application layer to ensure robust performance and interoperability.
We do much more than test: we guide, consult, analyze, troubleshoot, and present useful insights to help our customers improve product performance and ensure successful market adoption. We work closely with early adopters, standards committees, and leading test equipment manufacturers to develop test methodologies and early test solutions, providing “glue” that brings technology ecosystems together. We stay at the forefront of these technologies and bring insiders' know-how and hands-on expertise to our customers. Maintaining our leadership requires staying at the technical leading edge, a relentless focus on execution and quality, and, most importantly, the very best people.